I would have to agree with you. If you're *already* gzip-ing your
JavaScript, then packing doesn't make much sense. That said, the packed
version is great for those that either don't know how to set up their server
to do that, or don't have that kind of control (i.e. shared hosting).

Also, certain versions of IE6 have major issues with gzip-ed content (can't
remember whether it's all gzip-ed content or just JS).