On Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:44 PM Dug Falby <> said:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if I could get your opinion on whether or not something is
> possible and if it is, is there a really compact way of doing it with
> jquery?
>
> I would like to make a character counter for a textarea input. I would
> like the string that is the number of chars typed in the box to always
> be the last chars of the textrarea. A bit like this:
>
> I [1 char]
> I can [5 char]
> I can type [10 char]
>
> you get the idea, the little "[x char]" string floats along as if the
> insertion point was just before it.
>
> Is this going to be possible?
>
> All the best,
> Dug

I suspect that it's possible but it sounds like it'd be really
annoying/confusing from a usability standpoint.

What happens when the user exits that field?
What happens when the user goes back into that field?
If they press the End key where does their cursor go?
What happens when the user tries to put their cursor after the "[x
char]" string?

Maybe you'd be better off going the traditional route and offer the
character counter on the top/side/bottom of the textarea like everyone
else?

Regards,
Chris.