This sounds like the best way - I think you were using CF right?  Maybe
try:  GetHttpRequestData

Description
Makes HTTP request headers and body available to CFML pages. Useful for
capturing SOAP request data, which can be delivered in an HTTP header.

As far as populating the hidden form field - I got this code from Dan's
autocomplete example:

function findValue(li) {
        if( li == null ) return alert("No matching records found!");
        // if coming from an AJAX call, let's use the CityId as the
value
        if( !!li.extra ) var sValue = li.extra[0];
        // otherwise, let's just display the value in the text box
        else var sValue = li.selectValue;
      // write the id to a hidden field
        $("#public_id").val(sValue);
        }

It's basically looking for a value in a list and assigning that to my
field (public_id)

Jim