Merc,

You might want to look at the work being done on what's called the "AHAH
framework" for Drupal.  The guy working on that is doing a lot of thinking
about how to correctly integrate jQuery and Drupal's FormAPI in a clean,
safe, degradable fashion.  The widget you describe is essentially a Drupal
form or part of one.

Scott