I looked at the JQuery API
http://jquery.com/api/

and it says

Selects all paragraphs and removes those without a class "selected".

$("p").filter(".selected")

HTML:

Result:

[ <p class="selected">Hello</p> ]

I am sorry, it may be a wrong interpretation by me but this to me
makes absolutely opposite sense then you just posted above. May be my
basic funda about this is wrong. I will look at it today evening.

I will post a more elaborate code soon. Gota catch train to go
home...its Friday and I am give all the time to jQuery,,,Yahoooo. Does
that sound crazy?
Well I am crazy about jQuery and love being with it.....:)
Thanks