Matt,

>Is there any reason why it's not done this way? Perhaps there are
>things I'm not thinking of :)

You can access the functions using $.trim(), etc. While I had no part in
planning, I suspect the decision to place all this code w/in the jQuery
object was to avoid having the jQuery code interfere w/other libraries or
existing code base.

For example, if jQuery were to define their trim() method as a prototype to
the String object, then it would/could override a pre-defined version of the
function. If the two functions did not behave *exactly* a like, now you have
some issue that's very hard to debug and track down.

-Dan