Per Chris's suggestion, I've made an update to the plugin. Now, you
can specify that the container be an existing DOM element (e.g,
"#myContainer") or an element type that will be created and inserted
in the DOM directly after the textarea (e.g., "<em>"). If nothing is
specified, a <span> element will be created and inserted.

When specifying a container element by ID, the "classname" option is
not applied to the element.

I've got a slightly ugly bit of code where I check to see if the user
has specified an existing element by ID for the container. I'd
appreciate suggestions for cleaning this up:

Why not do:
var container = ($(options.container).parent().size() == 1) ?
$(options.container) :
$(options.container).insertAfter(this).addClass(options.classname);

You're not limited to just the id selector then.

-js