I've tried accessing it over https and tried my Google user name (with
an without the @gmail.com), but not had any luck (probably because I
am not a member). Is there a checkout only role? If not, then I could
always add my plugins (if given access) if they are useful and change
them to MIT/GPL rather than just MIT

I'd love for you to commit your plugins - I just added you to the
project, so you can feel free to commit them (into trunk/plugins, of
course).

Or will there be a way to check them out via a proxy page (which
either checks out live or is generated by a cron job).

Yes, we'll be providing at least one mirror for the repository.
Hopefully I'll have that setup soon.

--John