I still make the recommendation that you write a function (with a
name) that does the binding on the called page and place that in the
callback function of the load.

mybindingfunction = function(){
//      look for the a tags in the body of the new page and bind

}

originalbinding function(){
        //other code here
        //load call here
        $('#targetdiv').load(linkval, function(){
        // when new information is loaded, the links within the page
will
need to be binded
        mybindingfunction();

IE may be attempting to do it before the new page is loaded.  with the
callback function, you ensure that the new content is loaded before
attempting to bind anything.

I won't have a PC available to test until Monday, so I won't be able
to look at it.