Dan,

I'm essentially trying to replicate a "combobox".

I'm almost certainly going to use a fairly limited set of local data.  Not
that I want to rule remote data out, mind you.  Basically, I want a
"pulldown" control that will show the entire list (preferably with
scrolling, which I think is not presently implemented).  Then, the user
can click on the option that they want.  Or, if they start typing into the
input, they get the normal autocomplete behavior - except that the
non-selected choices are still clickable, and the first close match is
auto-selected.  And, the user must be able to enter a value that isn't one
of the choices.

It's amazing how many widgets out there have gotten *close* to what I
need, without actually arriving there.  :)  If I had a good enough grasp
of how the plugin currently works, I'd take a whack at it myself.  It's
*so* almost there!

- Brian