Sorry, guess I should have been clearer from the start.

I really do want a proper fix, something that's truely cross browser
and doesn't rely on regex and hacks.  But the thing is I'm developing
this stuff commercially and I have deadlines to meet.  In which case a
sticky plaster solution to get the scripts up and running on the site
in time will do, while in the meantime I can work on a updated search
and replace script that does it properly that I can then add as an
incremental rollout.