Well thank you all for working so hard on this.  It certainly is a bit
frustrating.

I think I understand the post about standards...maybe you're not
supposed to put a <p> inside a <p>? :p

Anyway, Jake, you're test3 works fine for me on your site and locally,
and that is a perfectly acceptable work around.  So thanks.  I really
was only doing it the other way because I found an example that way in
some blog post.

I think this is something the jquery team might want to look at, seems
like it should be working.  Anyway, thanks again everyone and thanks
for the work arounds.