I'm having a little trouble with the width function of jQuery and IE,
I suspect that what I've run into is an IE bug rather than a jQuery
one, but it's annoying nonetheless and I'd like some advice for a
fix.

My problem is that I need to create an effect where elements inside a
containing element move to new positions.  This means the contained
elements have to be set position: absolute for the duration of the
effect.  Of course, doing this to every element inside a container
causes the container to collapse, so I do the following before
starting to change the properties of the contained elements:

$('#container').css ({
        width:  $('#container').width (),
        height: $('#container').height ()
});

This works great in all test browsers, except, of course for IE.  In
all versions I have (5.5 - 7) this approach also works, unless the
contained elements have a border other than 0.  Then the computed size
seems to be smaller than the required value by ((border width left +
border width right) * 2)

Is there a way around this problem?  I'm using XHTML 1.1 as my doctype