Glen,
the file is:
get  http://erikandcolleen.com/erik/projects/jquery/rss/test.xml | hexdump
-c
0000000   <   ?   x   m   l       v   e   r   s   i   o   n   =   "   1
0000010   .   0   "       e   n   c   o   d   i   n   g   =   "   U   T
0000020   F   -   8   "   ?   >  \n   <   r   o   o   t   >  \n  \t   <
0000030   t   e   s   t   >   f   o   o     226       b   a   r   <   /
0000040   t   e   s   t   >  \n   <   /   r   o   o   t   >  \n
000004e

but  226 is an ascii value, not a utf-8 value.