I'm not sure I followed all that.  Does this boil down to clicking a
link to get a PDF?  If so, that seems like an odd case for blocking
the UI.  Is the request made using ajax or normal link navigation?

Mike

I am using the BlockUI plugin on one of may pages.  it works well for
blocking the UI, but i am having trouble gettign it to unblock the UI.

on this page, i click a hyperlink which calls a page that generates a
PDF file.  this page calls another page which sends the PDF file to
the browser so they get the "do you want to open or save the PDF"
dialog.

the problem is that i dont knwo where i am supposed to put the
$.unblockUI; so that the page will unblock when the PDF is spit back
to the browser.