On Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:36 AM Jörn Zaefferer <> said:

>> Although, security issues aside, I guess it could help to prevent
>> mistakes from your users. Would it make things easier for the user
>> or frustrating?
>>
> Clientside validation is all about usability.

A few points:

* Personally, I find it frustrating when applications (on the web)
automatically move my cursor from one box to another. Like when typing in a
date and there are three boxes for month, day, and year. I type in 11, press
<tab>, and type 24 to realize that I'm in the wrong box.

Maybe that wouldn't apply in this masked input fields case since the interface
is a little different but I can't say for sure without testing it.

Overall, I'm not very happy with applications that move my cursor around for me
or select text automatically. Like when you click into a form field (phpMyAdmin
comes to mind) and all the text is automatically selected.

* Even though "clientside validation is all about usability" many people don't
understand this and still use it as a security measure.

Chris.