Didn't seem to work.
I changed my strategy though.  I put a regular IMG png on the page with a
width of 100%.
Check it out: http://www.sparkt.com/index.htm

This is a crazy strategy I am using the achieve the results.  Rather than
tiling, I just give them 100% width or height.
The fade on the top is an image over the background absolutely positioned
and
The main content is made of a png with shadows (so it looks nice over the
complex pattern) stretched 100% tall.

Click the first box to see the highslide effect.
I hacked some jQuery into it to make the fadeIn/Out of the overlay.

Glen