Gordon wrote:
Doing an AJAX post whenever the form changes isn't acceptible because that would generate too much database traffic.

One solution I used successfully for similar requirements was to do an AJAX post for each change, and store the results in the server-side session, but not make any database calls until the user submitted the form or requested a new page or until the server session timed out.

I don't know what server-side tools you are using, but if you are using Java, check out DWR, which let me do that very smoothly. I haven't yet tried to put that together with JQuery, and I don't know if they'll play nicely together.

Good luck,

  -- Scott