The $ is just an alias for jQuery. That means you can use jQuery() instead
of $(). Or you could even create a different alias like this.

var $j = jQuery;

Then you can use $j() instead of $().

And just to be safe you might want to call jQuery.noConflict() to restore
the $ back to its original owner.

I just re-opened up my blog with a post about this yesterday.
http://blog.brandonaaron.net/2007/05/29/using-jquery-with-other-libraries/

--
Brandon Aaron