Just so I'm straight on this....

In main page:
  on doc ready,
    1. load 'invoices' code, with callback{
      2. load 'paybox' code
      3. add click() to checkboxes on 'invoices' code
      }

Then the code for 3 is what you have below, which is roughly

on click {
  if checked, reload 'paybox' code with 'addpay' and value
  else, reload 'paybox' code with 'delpay' and value
}

Personally, I would put a class on your checkboxes and use that to find them
- and even if you don't want to do that there is no need to use the
substring in the attribute check ([EMAIL PROTECTED]'checkbox']) because it's
either a
checkbox or it's not, so [EMAIL PROTECTED] is sufficient. However, as I said
I would add a class - eg. boxIncludeInvoice - to each checkbox and use that
instead.
Also, you don't have to use jquery where it is simpler not to, for example,
why test $(this).is(':checked') when a test on this.checked is adequate.
(I have checkbox click functions working in IE7 that make make a group of
checkboxes act like radio buttons, simply by testing this.checked).

The main page script might look something like (using snippets provided in

$(document).ready(function(){
  function loadPaybox(params){
    $("div#paytotal").load("payment_total_load.html",(params || {})); // add
callback if needed
  }
  function reloadPaybox(){
   loadPaybox( (this.checked ? {addpay:'yes', paystr:this.value} :
{delpay:'yes', paystr:this.value}) );
  }
  $("div#payments").load('account_rec_load.html',function(){ // start of
callback...
    loadPaybox();
    $('.boxIncludeInvoice').click(reloadPaybox); // add click to checkboxes
  }); // ends payments load callback
}); // ends document ready

Lastly, be aware that all the above may be over simplified, in that you may
want to consider what the user might be doing while paybox is loading - like
clicking a load more checkboxes. In which case you might want shift the 'add
clicks to checkboxes' into a callback when loading paybox, and precede the
checkboxes, thus preventing the user clicking more checkboxes until the
previous click has done all the processing it needs to.

This may or may not help!