Can you / have you tested it with Firefox & Firebug?
Can you provide an example of the JSON data?
Are you certain that the finishNote function is being executed?

I'm just thinking that it may be that the JSON data is malformed in some way
and that jQuery is failing before it gets called. One thing you could try is
setting up an AJAX error handler:

$(document).ready(function() {
   $.ajaxSetup({error: on_ajax_error});
});

function on_ajax_error(xhr, error, exception) {
   alert('AJAX error');
}

Bung that in if you haven't got one already and see what happens.
--rob