Hi, Mario… and thanks for the reply.

Your approach worked fine.  I ended up with this
code after the js for the slide show:

            <script type="text/javascript">
                        $(document).ready (function() {
                                    $('.slideshowLinks').hide();
                        })
            </script>

The only remaining problem now is the “Next Slide” and
“Previous Slide” links.  They were still showing and I thought
I would use your technique again, so I modified the code above
as follows:

            <script type="text/javascript">
                        $(document).ready (function() {
                                    $('.slideshowLinks').hide();
                                    $('.slideshowNextSlide').hide();
                                    $('.slideshowPrevslide').hide();
                        })
            </script>

That didn’t work because each time a new image is shown,
the <a href> links for the next and previous slide are recreated
using new data.

How would I cause this code to run each time an image is changed
so the Next and Previous links are hidden, too?

Thanks for your help.

Rick