hi
thanks for the this more elaborate explanation. I still have one
question though.
Where do I specify my charset so make the change in response header,
in the output from the php file that I am using to query with GET or
in the ajax call itself to this php file, which I suppose would be
using beforeSubmit?

I hope you would reply to this rather mundane question for you.
Thanks again