OK More info:
This is generating a server side error.
It seems that if I do not upload a file, the JQuery Form method, posts
the form normally encoded instead as multipart/form-data. Can this be
avoided?

Here is the error my server is throwing:

COM Error Number: -2146828227 (0x800A003D)
File Name: /client_admin/scripts_ASP/upload_script.asp?
PID=40EED84D40925D0A
Line Number: 9
Brief Description: Wrong Content-Type. Make sure you have included the
attribute ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" in your form.