Regarding the "document.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache", false,
true)", the first entry in a Google search for "BackgroundImageCache"
turns up this:

   http://misterpixel.blogspot.com/2006/09/forensic-analysis-of-ie6.html

As to the slowing "tracking", it looks like IE has a bit of a pause
between the change in className and actually rendering the change to
screen.

I've just optimised a similar piece of code in project and this is
what I've come up with:

$('table tr').each( function() {
        var row = $(this);
        row.hover(
                function() {
                        setTimeout( function() { row.addClass('hover'); }, 0 );
                },
                function() {
                        setTimeout( function() { row.removeClass('hover'); }, 0
);
                }
        );
});

Somehow using the "setTimeout" bypasses, or shortens, the rendering delay.

Karl Rudd