I'm in the middle of creating a bidding system with the help of
jQuery. I'd like the actual bid process to be all Ajax. I have one
input field for the price and a submit button to send it. Problem is I
don't know how to send the users value from the input field to the php
file.

I'm trying to get these basics functions down so I don't have to
bother anyone else :p.

1 - User adds a price and clicks submit.
2 - if there is a error message, show it and when the user resubmits,
delete the old error message and show the new message.

Here is the basic code I'm using. I deleted alot of code surrounding
it to keep it simple.

$("#placebid").click(function() {
        $.ajax ({
                type: "POST",
                url: "ajax/place_bid.php",
                success: function(msg) {
                        $("#bidform").find("#msg").not(".alert").append(msg)

type="text" name="mybid" id="mybid" class="inputbutton" value=""
size="10" /> <input type="submit" class="inputbutton" id="placebid"
value="Place Bid" tabindex="1" title="" />

Can anyone send me in the right direction? I'm pretty good at PHP
coding, but I'm a newbie when it comes to jQuery. Thanks in advanced!