Actually, I did manage to install Safari 3 and maintain Safari 2.  To do
this, you have to "copy" Safari 2 into another folder in the applications
folder (I made one called Safari2).  So Safari 2 exists in both the folder
and the Applications folder.  Then I ran the installer, which replaced the
Safari 2 in the Applications folder and left Safari 2 in the Safari2 folder
alone.  Safari 2 loaded successfully after installation complete.