Hi Gordon,

Your question (and Scott's earlier reply) may nullify this
recommendation for your particular circumstances, but if it's any help
to you or others, I found a good, basic tutorial on parsing XML with
jQuery here:

http://blog.reindel.com/2007/02/02/use-jquery-expressions-and-ajax-to-browse-an-xml-file/

The approach outlined loads the XML file using jQuery AJAX functions,
so it *may* also help with your DTD situation (??).

-THEO-