I like backin/out. It feels like the virtual equivalent of physical toggle
switches that work like that (often used as power switches).

I disagree about having that stuff in the core though. Often I don't even
need animations or ajax, but part of what I really like about jQuery is that
it's small enough that it doesn't hurt to load all of that stuff whether you
need it or not. Not having to deal with loading various "packages" based on
which features you need is nice, but the tricky bit is finding the right
balance between including things and not. I'd say, leave the core features
in the core, and addon features in plugins. e.g. Basic ajax stuff in the
core, auto ajaxification of forms in a plugin. Basic animations in the core,
fancy easing effects in a plugin. Basic selectors in the core, super speed
tuned selectors in a plugin. etc.

--Erik