Sam,

On the API documentation page have a look at the examples for .validate() -
http://jquery.bassistance.de/api-browser/plugins.html#validateMap

There is a parameter called 'event' which seems to control when each input
is validated, its use is shown a couple of times.
This isn't documented but shouldn't be too hard to work out its semantics -
I'd love to help further but haven't used the validate() plugin myself.

HTH,
--rob