In another thread Felix Geisendorfer published a little plugin that he
uses to rebind thickbox after the document has finished loading.  The
line below starting "tb_show" calls the thickbox.  I'm sure you could
easily use this as a starting point.

Here's the original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/f0d39205628ab09a/3e59d40a68eafbd8

please note that in that thread, the command was TB_show, which will
not work with the newer thickbox plug-in.

$.fn.useThickbox =  function()
{
    return this.click(function()
        {
            var t = this.title || this.name || null;
            var g = this.rel || false;
            tb_show(t,this.href,g);
            this.blur();
            return false;