James,
Pardon my ignorance, but could not find what you mean by map, but your
example looks like json to me.  Keep in mind that although I know how
program, I am very bad with what things are named.

but to answer your question, your example is how I normally send information
back and for thru ajax.  Now, I usually use the $.ajax function for all my
ajax needs, but more or less, the do the same thing.

a_map = {name:'james', age:27, location:'HK'};

So:
$.post('myurl.php', a_map);

Should work fine.