Xinhao,

The only way to return data from server to client (PHP -> jQuery in this
case) is by 'displaying' it in PHP - in other words using echo, print or
something similar.

This does mean that anyone could look at what your javascript is doing and
do the same, unfortunately there's not much you can do about this. If you're
worried about confidentiality then using a login system along with the
request should mean that someone can only retrieve the data they are
entitled to view.

--rob