Mike Hostetler wrote:
I wanted to start some discussion about whether this might be
addressed within jQuery, how to address it, should it be a plugin,
etc.  I'd be happy to write one.
This should be a plugin. Your post is a good start and the replies are interesting, too. I can see that this could be very useful for the autocomplete plugin.

To make sure this discussion doesn't get lost, and create a sort of specification for various requirements, I've created a wiki page: http://docs.jquery.com/AjaxQueue So far it simply contains mails from this thread. Please edit it and add anything else you may come up with.

--
Jörn Zaefferer

http://bassistance.de