http://www.commadot.com/jquery/shadows/
Ok, the first experiment was using a 1x1 image.
I didnt fix for IE6 yet, but it's in the ballpark...nothing special
happening.

Ok, so the bad part was when I tried to stretch a non-1x1 image with a
fade.  The fade of the shadow scaled (of course), so that wont work.
Luckily there is another way.  Thank goodness for positioning.

By the way, these arent completely done with a ribbon on them.
But I hope these give the basic idea.

Should these have rounded corners too?

Hmm.

Glen