On Jul 17, 2:42 pm, PragueExpat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Apparently, in IE and Firefox, the function must run to completion before
> the UI is updated with any CSS / DOM changes, but in Opera, the UI is
> updated immediately upon the jQ call.

Yeah, someone mentioned that behaviour a couple of days ago here in
the forum. The IE/FF behaviour is saner, IMO, because making 100% sure
that all JS/HTML elements are properly locked is, philosophically
speaking, impossible, once one considers that arbitrary browser
plugins and timer-triggered JS code can manipulate the DOM at
literally any microsecond.

> I was trying to get a 'waiting' gif to appear at the beginning of a long
> function call, but found that it was never appearing. I guess I need to
> display the gif in a function before the long function.

You could try using the blockUI jQuery plugin - it is designed for
just that type of thing. It blocks the user interface so the user
cannot click on anything while your operation is running.