John,
Here is a post from John Resig regarding making your own copy of jquery:

You can download jQuery from SVN and build your own copy. If you were
to open the Makefile that's included with jQuery you'd see a list of
files that are to be included in jQuery directly - you can then remove
the Ajax and FX modules and build a new copy. I realize that this is
convoluted, and we're working on a better way - but at least it's
something for now.
--*John*