On Jul 18, 5:51 pm, "Christopher Jordan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Instead of disabling the element for 500ms just ignore any other clicks on
> the element for 500ms. We often do this on elements with an onchange event.
> that way if the user changes items in a select too quickly (i.e.
> highlighting something in the list and then using their mousewheel) we avoid
> hitting the server until the selected item has been "rested on" for half a
> second or whatever we decide is the right timing.

That's one idea. i was hoping to avoid swapping around the event
handlers, but it looks like i'm going to need to. Then again, i'm also
philosophically opposed to adding a fix for people who are too stupid
to learn to click properly. Aaarrrggg. Tough choice.

> Another idea is to do what AVG does when it does an automatic update, (and
> when FF installs an addon). Have the button show a count down and when the
> count reaches zero either do the action or enable the button or both.

i've avoided that so far because i have to disable the element (which
only works on buttons and similar elements) and because it requires
modifying the text of the element, which i don't really want to do
(except with text that the client provides) because my code cannot
know how that will affect the layout of the element.

i agree that for the concrete use case of FF's add-on installation
(and similar cases), the countdown button is a great idea, but my
plugin is for the general case, and i'm not yet convinced that it's a
good solution for the general case.