I can't figure out why this simple isn't working. I've tried a number of
variations. I've tried examining the vars with debugging output.

I have a bunch of forms on the page, each one having just one text input and
a submit button. When the user types in any of the forms I want to make sure
the text field is not empty (i.e., they haven't just cleared the field) and
enable the submit button accordingly.

However, the state of the submit button does not change. I've verified that
the script is getting called. I also tried $("input") instead of $("form").

Is there some error here that I'm missing.

I've tried using either line 3 (now commented) and line 4, below.

$(document).ready(function(){
    $("form").keyup(function(event){
        //var activeForm = $(event.target).parents('form');
        var activeForm = this.form;
        if ($(event.target).fieldValue()[0].length > 0)
        {
            $('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', activeForm).attr("disabled",
false).removeClass('formfielddisabled');
        } else {
            $('[EMAIL PROTECTED]', activeForm).attr("disabled",
true).addClass('formfielddisabled');