From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Christof Donat
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 10:09 AM
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: [Off-Topic] CSS Combine Images

Hi,

> I have done this in php with gd and ImageMagick in the past, but this a
> desktop application  that will allow more finegrained control of the
> combined output image and the source handling in the future.

montage is a CLI tool with fairly finegrained control of the combined
output ;-) However I just whanted to add some thoughts.

Have you thought of using Qt for the GUI? Qt also gives you some image
manipulation functions and can handle various formats as well. Btw you win a

cross platform desktop application for Windows, MacOS X and various X11
based
platforms like e.g. Linux, Solaris or the BSDs. Qt itself is a C++ library,
but there are bindings to many other languages as well, like e.g. Python,
Perl, Java, etc.

> Sure there are
> many options to do it, I even created a photoshop action to do it, but
none
> of these are really doing the trick for me. Just sharing :)

ScriptFoo goes further than photoshop actions. Actually you get a touring
complete language to manipulate even every single pixel of some set of
images
if you like. You can do the UI with GTK then. AFAIK photoshop actions are
not
really much more than a recoded pattern of appling existing Photoshop tools.

Actually I was wandering why the available image formats should be an issue.

That is why I guess you have not been able to find the best tools for that.
In my experience most image formats are no issue for desktop applications
nowadays. Even if none of the easy ways like integrating into Gimp or using
Qt is an option for you, you can always call e.g. the netpbm tools to read
any input or generate any output format you like.

Christof

http://www.eset.com