I don't see anything about effects on the 1.0 roadmap for UI:

http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Roadmap

The focus right now is on core UI - drag, drop, select, sort, widgets,
theming. If someone is interested in doing effects, I'm sure it would be
welcome. Otherwise I would guess it'll be tackled in a future release.

- Richard