Mitchell,

>Thank you Josh, that triggered something -
>
>that I am not asking very good questions,
>
>and that I had just finished reading about bubbling in Karl's L J Q chap 3.
>I understand that is when an event like a click  travels up the DOM to
>other elements and you want it to stop. Karl presents the event object as a
>solution (I don't recall that he used return to solve it), and he also
>shows how to remove event handlers. But no return.
>
>Thing is my problem doesn't seem to fit this allegory, because I have one
>div with two conflicting events, mouseover and mouseout.
>
>Like this
>
>http://www.whatbird.com/wwwroot/3statebutton_framed.html

I think the core issue with that source code is you're trying to fade out
the parent element (#nest) while fading in a child element (#But1frm).

I would expect that to create a weird behavior.

The parent object includes all its children objects, so you're in essence
giving conflicting statements to the child object.

-Dan