Just a quick observation:
Check your cpu usage during this slideshow. In my case on a Core2 Duo macbook it puts both cores to around 40%. Kinda high if you ask me for a slideshow especially if you would use this in a site with more js events going on. It could easily make your computer less responsive and the user experience less enjoyable.

grtz
BjornW

Reason I asked about Mootools is I love there slideshow. It allows doing the Ken Burns effects that was mentioned Nicolas last week. Check out this wicked class demo:
http://www.electricprism.com/aeron/slideshow/

Wow -- that's a helluva plugin, and a *really* great demo.

 ~ ~ Dave