I'm sure you didn't read that from John!  :-)

error functions fire when there is an error.  success functions fire
when there is no error.  In your case they both fire because you're
invoking the error function directly.  You need to pass a function
reference like you did for the success handler.

function getXML () {
   $.ajax({
       dataType: "xml",
       error:   function() {errorMessage("The data could not be loaded.") },
       success: function (msg){parseXML(msg);},
       timeout: 10000,
       url: xmlUrl
   });
};