(I'm not sure this got though so excuse me if I am sending it a second time)

Klaus this is FANTASTIC. Its way way way better than settimeout because the
chained list of events is to easy to understand.

I think your example at learningjquery is really neat but it's a little
obscured by the other neat trick of insert HTML right after a click via
insertion. That in itself deserves its own page but the use of animate as a
delay timer is really awesome. I could not understand the example before I
knew jQuery, but now I can.

The key is: animate({ opacity: 1 }, 2000). Which does nothing other change
the opacity of the element its attached to for 2 seconds. The real key for
me was that the effects could be queued.

I knew that if you set things up this way they all happened at the same
time.

$('#spinner').fadeIn('fast')
$('#spinner').animate({ opacity: 1 }, 2000)
$('#spinner').fadeOut('fast')

But did not know chainging them executes them sequentially. That is great to
know and makes things so much easier.

Thanks so much for:

$('#spinner').fadeIn('fast').animate({ opacity: 1 }, 2000).fadeOut('fast');

Mitch

We can use a little trick here (animations are queued):

$('#spinner').fadeIn('fast').animate({ opacity: 1 }, 2000).fadeOut('fast');

Untested.

Technique first seen here:
http://www.learningjquery.com/2007/01/effect-delay-trick

--Klaus