Oscar,

That should not be the case.  Your error fn should only be invoked
when there is an error.  Do you have a sample page we could look at?
In your code it looks like you have an extra curly brace and also the
arguments passed to the error fn should look like this:

jQuery.ajaxSetup(
    error: function(xhr, status, err){ alert("error: "+err);}
);

Mike