try it like this, .is() returns true or false so you have to use it in an if statement:

$("a.saveConfig").click(function() {
  if ($('div.detail').is(':visible')) alert('Hey this works');
});

dennis.

Pete wrote:
I'm trying to create a link that when clicked will produce an alert if
there are any visible divs (all .detail divs are hidden by default).
I have the following function but it doesn't seem I'm doing it
correctly; nothing happens regardless of the visibility status of the
divs.

$("a.saveConfig").click(function() {
                        $('div.detail').is(':visible'), (function () {
                alert('Hey this works');

Is there a better way to do an if statement using JQuery selectors or
is there something I'm missing in my code?