I thought the same about checking a checkbox but "checked" is not the right
value, you have to use true and false.

So like this:

On

$(checkbox).attr("checked", true);

Off

$(checkbox).attr("checked", false);

I have no idea why you cant do $(checkbox).attr("checked", "checked");

This also won't work

if( $(checkbox).is(":checked") ) { alert("checked"); }

Mitch