Ok, I tried this, but have been overwhelmed by stupidity.
Do I need to add this to the external code I use for the modal window?
I added it to the head of the parent page, and the chil;d page to no
avail. I do not get error reports, it just does not perform. I made
sure that I had properly identified the field names.

I even added it to the input tag - to no avail.  I am sure I am
missing something painfully obvious. Any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help so far - I am truly greatful.

John