Benjamin,

I believe you understood properly, yes!

I'm not sending the server any information, just receiving back information
from a database which is influenced from other sources, not this
application. I'll have to lookup SetInterval syntax, thanks for the
pointer.  Is it wise to try the excerpt you put below in a separate script
to keep my XHTML clean and call it within the div somehow?

Thanks again for your help.